Sunday, January 04, 2009

Anto's o-toshi-dama 「お年玉」...

Otoshidama means, gifts given to kids on New year's day ...

On the 31st of Dec, 2008, Me, Shanthi, and Anto went to Kakogawa 「加古川」. Usually it's a 2 hour journey, which we covered in around 3 hours.

At first, we boarded a "local train" train from Nishioji to Takatsuki, on alighting at the station we realized it was freezing cold, the strong breeze made things difficult. Shanthi wanted something hot for Anto. The next train was 9 minutes away, and so I went to find some vending machine, there was none in the Platform, so I went to the second floor where the ticketing gates and few shops were located. I went to the toilet for pissing and came back and bought a couple of Yuzu tea, and came back to the Platform to find that the train that I was about to board had already left ... sigh ...

Then we waited for the next train (14 minutes to be exact) and boarded the next train and got down at Shin-Osaka and boarded the "Special Rapid Service" bound for "Banshu Aboshi".

Otoshidama-I,

In the train an elderly man, might be in his late 60's sat besides me. As most of the Japanese he started praising Anto, and praised that Anto was cute. I was not surprised till he took out his wallet and gave Anto a JPY 1000 bill... I was SHOCKED, I thought it was not a nice guesture. And told that guy (in a rather rude voice) to take his money back, but he would not. He was probably drunk, or atleast I though so. He repeated the same phrase, "Everyone in the world are friends" 「世界の皆が友達ですね」. I liked the phrase, but did not like the 1000 Yen guesture ... He talked to me about India, his visit to Srilanka, his unmarried daughter who was crossing 30 already, his liking for Indian curry and spicy food, how longing for a long nose, etc.

Atlast he got down at Akashi, I was relieved, but some part of me wanted to talk to him more. Probably would have even liked to invite him home someday, but the 1000 Yen shock overtook all the gestures and I had to just wave him bye ...

Celebration in Kakogawa,

During golden week, A japanese friend of mine, took me to Arima onsen. I met Subahar and Deepika (an active Tamil couple), he lives in Kakokawa. He had invited us to celebrate New Year with all his co-working Indian friends. I was excited to meet people who are living here for long, especially I was curious to meet their kids.

So me and Shanthi embarked on a journey that will be our first stay in a guest's place Japan. Though it is very normal in India, travelling with Anto was was challenging ...

The Subahar's, were a real "Tamil family", and their good humour, and hospitality took our tiredness away. It was one of the most pleasent trip we had ever made.

I shot some snaps of "the New year function" which can be seen here ...

From NewYear

Otoshidama-II,

On the 1st of Jan, 2009, we came back to Nishoji (my present home town ;-)) at around 2 PM. Shin and Rieko were leaving for a tript to Vietnam and Cambodia on the 2nd. Earlier our plan was to meet them for Lunch on the 1st, but since the comfortable stay in Kakokawa only made sure we do not leave after eating those hot idlies with 3 type of chutnies and a lengthy chat.

Now I had to give them their New years gift and my wishes for the trip before they leave for Shin-san's parents home. So I rushed to meet them at the hanapot at around 4PM. I gave each one of them a shirt, and conveyed Shanthi and Anto's wishes too ...

At this, Shin and Rieko gave otoshidama-II for Anto ... 1000 Yen ++
I happily accepted the otoshidama cover, ... though I expected a bigger amount ... ;-)

Otoshidama-III,

At around 7 PM, we went to Hanapot for the formal New Year's dinner, during this time, Oto-san and Oka-san of Hanapot, gave Anto his 3rd and final Otoshidama for this Newyear.

He had 3ooo JPY in the form of Otoshidama's ...

Back in olden days, when I was a kid, we used to go to our relatives house and get some gift money, usually 5 INR (10 JPY). We used to feel very happy when someone gives 10 INR, and very sad when unexpectedy someone hands out 2 INR ...

But now, living far away from all those relatives, I neither have an oppurtunity to give, nor receive ... but am happy to write about this Otoshidama's ..

No comments:

Post a Comment